Well I have been keeping this big, exciting, nerve-racking news mainly to myself... not many people know the news I am about to share with you... and NO I am not pregnant (the people I have shared this with immediately asked if I was prego)....
I am a student at Kaplan University!
Here's the down low on it...
It all come up VERY quickly, last week I was looking into it and Yesterday my classes started and I had my first seminar just tonight. I am going to school online to further my education and learn more about the back end of web design. I can design great websites but do not know as much as I would like to with the back end of it (meaning how to make it work and function correctly on the internet). I am getting a certificate for Internet and Website Development, it's a total of 36 credits and I will be done by the middle of February of next year, so about 11 months. I am VERY excited because it is something I have always wanted to do and I got a government grant given to me because I am a spouse of active duty (see there are some benefits to being far away from my friends and family haha) so this will pay for the first $6000 and then the rest I got covered by work. Sweet huh! So how could I pass up the opportunity to further my education for free and get to do more of what I love to do :)
Some of you might be wondering what the hell I am thinking because I have a 9 month old, Tobin is just beginning to start leaving all the time and will not be much help anymore, I work full time and well oh ya I blog a ton haha and hae many other hobbies that keep me occupied. No but really, my thoughts on the timing go like this... yes it is a very stressful and busy time of our lives, but isn't it always something? Tobin shouldn't be the only one doing what he loves to do and successing, I should be able to do that as well, with or without children. Yes I have a 9 month old but I wouldn't be able to do this if I had another one running around, 2 would make it pretty much impossible right now, so YES more babies are put on hold for now, but Tobin and I are quite alright with that decision. Last point I am going to make is... it's only 11 months, yes that isn't the shortest of times but it really should fly by and is nothing compared to a few years!
So there you have it I am taking 2 classes for 10 weeks and then have 1 week off... then 10 weeks and 1 off and then repeat again and again... and I will be done by mid February :)
Think I'm nuts? Oh well! You have to remember I am pretty dang good at managing my time wisely and at one point in college I was taking 18 credits and had 2 jobs that were equiviant to a full time job, I know there wasn't a baby involved but still... I'm not saying it's going to be easy but I think I can pull it off with only a couple melt downs hahaha. :)
I will keep you posted on how my classes go these next few weeks... wish me luck!
Thursday, April 16, 2009
I may be nuts but...
Posted by holly gannett at 10:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yay for education! Yay for finding new ways to use your creativity! Yay for helping friends with internet issues!
I don't think you're crazy...I'm jealous. I have thought about doing more school, but can't decide what it is I want to do. At least you have a vision and a passion for your studies! I think it will be way easier than you anticipate.
Have fun!
That's awesome, Holly! Best of luck over the next 11 weeks! :)
...and by weeks, I mean MONTHS. :)
Congrats! That's awesome. I'm crazy, but I love school. I want to go back someday!
Post a Comment