Friday, October 10, 2008

What's my secret?

I have been asked by quite a few people "WHAT MY SECRET IS?" Friends and family are wondering how on earth I lost my baby weight so fast. Well FIRST of all I promise my body is not back to it's normal self yet, I know I have lost a lot of the weight but your body just does not go back to normal after having a baby. I have weight in place I have never had before and less weight in places I normally have had weight.... it's all screwed up because even though I weigh what I use to my clothes do not fit me like they did. I have never really been one to weigh myself constantly (until I got pregnant and they weigh you EVERY time you see the doctor), I believe that as long as you feel healthy and look healthy the number shouldn't really matter (easier said then done). I have lost a lot of muscle and my body just feels very loose (not toned, but what do you expect after just having a baby... right?). I am not trying to complain what so ever so please do not take this post the wrong way. I am very thankful that my body has bounced back the way it has so far.... but who knows the second time around could be completely different.

I believe that your body is going to do what it is naturally suppose to do and you can't control it completely. The only thing you can control is exercising and eating healthy. When I say eating healthy I do not mean NOT EATING or eating very small meals, especially if you are breastfeeding (which I am still doing). So here is my secret...

  1. I eat healthier then I ever have (still eat good amounts just healthier) because of the fact I am breastfeeding. Before I was eating like crap because it wasn't hurting anyone but myself but now what I eat goes to ELLA. I also had to start eating healthier when I got pregnant so that made the transition a little easier. Don't get me wrong though I still enjoy pizza and pasta and sweets I just just don't stuff my face with it... it's all about the amount you eat. I also have been eating TONS of fruits and more vegetables then ever before (not a big fan of veggies). *NOTE: anyone who has known me for awhile knows that I use to eat very unhealthy-- pizza, cookies, candy, lots of breads, anything that tasted good and never thought twice about what I was eating.
  2. I haven't really drank! I don't consume alcohol like I use to.... obviously because I am breastfeeding. I use to go out and have a good time and was able to hold my own fairly well... we all know that is not healthy no matter how you try to justify it. I wasn't going out having a glass of wine or two, I was drinking margaritas, mixed drinks with red bull-- you get the picture (those kind of drinks are so bad for you... did you know that a single margarita has about 500 calories in it, they will still always be my favorite drink). So for the last year I haven't drank but 3-4 glasses of wine (and this was after Ella was born).
  3. I walked Theo and Otis A LOT while I was pregnant. I would walk at least 3 miles a day and sometimes twice that. I truly believe that walking is such a great exercise... it's not hard on your knees like running and you can enjoy it. Walking throughout my pregnancy made my labor easier (that's what the doc said) and helped me bounce back into shape. I don't walk near as much as I was when pregnant but plan on getting back into a routine.
  4. Last but not least I truly believe that I am lucky... I have always had a fast metabolism which helps and I am very thankful for!
So that's MY secret... NO I AM NOT BARFING to keep my weight off. I have had quite a few people joke with me that I must be throwing up to look the way I do. But No, I am just living a much healthier lifestyle and eating properly :) (Not something I have been known for, until now).

0 comments: